Delegate Mark Keam - Virginia's 35th House District

Delegate Keam Cuts Ribbon for New Sidewalk in Vienna


http://vienna.patch.com/articles/safe-steps#photo-3317130

Safe Steps 

New sidewalk on Lawyers Road makes biking, waiting for the bus and walking to Louise Archer Elementary easier

ByChris Steuble November 20, 2010

Councilwoman Laurie Cole, Del. Mark Keam, Mayor Jane Seeman, Sup. Cathy Hudgins and Sharon Bulova hold the ribbon at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Saturday to commemorate the opening of the new sidewalk at Lawyers Road and Abbotsford Drive.  (Photo Credit: Chris Steuble)

More than 10,000 cars go down Lawyers Road each day. And thanks to a new 5-foot-wide sidewalk, that stretches along Lawyers Road from Blair Court in Vienna to Abbotsford Drive in Fairfax County, those who walk to school or bike to work now have a safe way to avoid them.

On Nov.20, Town of Vienna and Fairfax County officials gathered with local residents to celebrate the completion of the jointly-funded project with a ribbon cutting ceremony at the corner of Lawyers Road and Abbotsford Drive.

Mayor Jane Seeman, Delegate Mark Keam, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chariman Sharon Bulova and Hunter Mill District Supervisor Cathy Hudgins all helped cut the ribbon. Several Town Council members were in attendance as well.

The area of the newly-laid sidewalk was high on the town's  Sidewalk Task Force List, made with input from Town Council, public works, the transportation safety commission and residents who identify which Town locations need sidewalks. This stretch of Lawyers Road serves several bus stops and is also the walking route of many Louise Archer Elementary School students. With the heavy traffic and high speed at which it travels, the absence of a sidewalk made traveling to school or waiting for the bus dangerous for residents.

About 60 percent of the sidewalk is in Fairfax County, and the other 40 percent is within the Town of Vienna limits. Town of Vienna staff managed the entire project, but the county's Department of Transportation paid for the part of the sidewalk outside of Town borders. Town staff will also complete the landscaping along the new sidewalk.

 

At the ceremony, Project Manager  Dennis Johnson was thanked for making the project a success by coordinating funding and construction with the neighborhood. Bulova and Hudgins were also thanked for their support.

Contribute
Volunteer
News Update
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Vimeo